With the right tools, techniques and prep, you can get big, bouncy curls and give them life and longevity.
We all love curls. They are super fun to create but having them stay all day is no easy feat. Here’s our guide to get your curl game strong.
1. Choose the right barrel size
Pick a barrel based on the length of your hair and the desired look. For loose curls or longer hair, go for a barrel that is up to 2 inches in diameter; for tighter ringlets or short, medium-length hair, up to 1 inch barrel size is recommended.
2. Prep and protect your hair
Use a heat protector to avoid your hair from frying. Keep a volumising or texturising spray handy to hold the curls better. For thicker hair, use a smoothening cream or lightweight serum for extra shine.
3. Start curling
Here’s the technique to get big, bouncy curls.
- Divide your detangled hair into manageable sections.
- Work from the back end first, pick a section and clamp it from the ends.
- Roll up the iron until all the hair is curled up around it. If it’s a curling wand, start from the roots.
- Hold the heated tool for no longer than 10-15 seconds on each section.
- Continue working through all the sections until you achieve the desired result.
- Finger comb to gently open up the curls.
- Finish off with a holding mist for lasting curls.