Tattooing and Piercing are an increasingly popular form of self-expression, it is important for young people to carefully weigh the consequences and potential risks associated with such body modifications. Therefore the following selfcare tips should be looked into.
- Tattoos take a couple of weeks to heal. They will scab over which will flake off. Apply a thin layer of ointment until scabs flake off. Don’t scratch or pick at it even if it feels itchy.
- Remove the bandage anywhere from an hour to the next morning after getting your tattoo.
- During the healing process, gently wash your tattoo with a mild antibacterial soap. Pat dry – don’t rub. Use an ointment like A&D, vitamin E, tea tree or a product recommended by your tattooist.
- After your tattoo has healed, apply a good quality moisturizing skin lotion to keep it from being infected.
- Don’t soak in a tub or go swimming until your tattoo is fully healed.
- Sunlight will damage your tattoo. Apply a SPF to your tattoo for the rest of your life.
A piercing can take a few weeks to several months to fully heal, depending on where it is on your body.
- Do not touch/pick on the piercing or jewellery. Your hands carry germs that can cause infection.
- Use a warm sea salt-water soak or a mild liquid antibacterial soap every day to aid healing and prevent infection.
- Oral piercings need to be cared for differently than other piercings. Use an alcohol-free antibacterial mouthwash to cleanse the area in your mouth.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol on piercings. These products can irritate the healing tissue.
- Do not use antibiotic ointments, gels, or creams on piercings. They can attract dirt and prevent oxygen from reaching the area.
Body Art Self Care is Important!!!