Rice water is one of the oldest household remedies for healthy hair and skin.
Rice is a very common kitchen ingredient in Eastern households and people in this part of the world have discovered its various benefits not just for the body, but for hair and skin as well. We have heard that the water leftover from soaking/washing rice should be used as a haircare ingredient. But why? Here are some of its benefits.
- Rice contains a lot of nutrients like amino acids, antioxidants, magnesium, folic acid, niacin, vitamin B1, B6, C, E and K, that are essential for healthy hair.
- The starch in rice water helps to heal damaged skin and reduce dandruff and scalp problems.
- It promotes strong, shiny, long and black hair as it is rich in vitamin B, which promotes the production of melanin (a pigment that gives our skin and hair its natural colour).
In this article, we will share an effective way to do the rice water hair rinse.
This recipe is inspired by the Yao people of China who are known for their long, healthy hair. There are a few variations, because some of the ingredients they use are native to China and can’t be found here locally. But rest assured, our version will give you great results too.
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- 1 cup plain white rice
- 4 cups water
- peel from 1 grape fruit
- a few drops of essential oils like lavender or rosemary
- Rinse the rice with clean water
- Wash it thoroughly with your hands
- Soak it in 4 cups of clean water for 1 hour
- Remove the rice (use it for cooking later)
- Now, take the leftover water and add grapefruit peel and a few drops of essential oil
- Boil the concoction for 10-15 minutes
- Once cooled, store in a container and let it ferment at room temperature for at least 24 hours (It is best to ferment it for 2-3 days or a week)
Now that you have your rice water mixture, it’s time to use it. The Yao women only use this water to wash their hair, but our lifestyle is very different and this may not work for everyone. The best method we have discovered is to use this water to rinse your hair after shampooing and conditioning. Use this method twice or thrice a month and flaunt your beautiful hair.